Saturday, December 8, 2007

Viewing Photography As A Text






I have always found a great interest about photography. I love to see good photographs and like the photographers. I think they are very intellectual person because they are capturing time, emotion, etc many things in a frame. The most wonderful thing about a photograph is- it has a very descriptive situation in only one frame. We can bring out thousands of word from a single photograph. When I was in school, I used to think that I would be a photographer in future. Then I have changed my mind, but there was a wish ' I will take photography as my hobby'. Few days ago, I won the first prize for a photograph in my university. When I gave my photographs to the media club, I did not imagine that my picture would be first. The most interesting thing is that one of my peer said me ' don't give this photograph, it doesn't has any good subject' but that picture placed the first position. It was a great experience to me, I know that my photographs were not so good but I am not a professional photographer and I have very few experiences about this. As we, all know people have many wishes in their mind from the childhood and I am not an exceptional. I was a student of an art school for three years and I love to work with silent media. The cause is to me that silent media are more powerful than the other is and photography, painting these media needs high involvement. In the last semester, I worked for a multimedia production under a course. For that project, I visited some places and our subject was working people below the poverty line. For that, I have taken some pictures of construction worker. Then I submitted those photographs to the media club and three of them were selected. The first one was ‘Durashar Drishti’ it means an eye without any hope. The second one was ‘Narrow Life’; the interesting thing about this is when I took the picture I did not imagine about the concept. After taking, when I saw I observed it has enormous meaning. To clarify this I want to give some information. The denotation of that picture is – a woman is working and I am focusing her from back through two rickshaws. It means her life is continuing with narrow facilities like the narrow portion of two rickshaws. Therefore, I mentioned that picture as narrow life. Third, one was ‘Dahon’ means burning. The main cause to write these things is the course ‘Reading Media Text’. This course is encouraging me to look the world differently. In past my observation or viewing power was very different but now I can read a photograph as a text. It is a great and different kind of experience. Now I can tell many words by viewing media. The photography exhibition is encouraged me a lot. Now I want to work seriously on photography and I want to mention another thing that is Brian sir’s comments has inspired me a lot.

1 comment:

briguy100 said...

It's always gratifying to read comments like yours and I'm so pleased you won first prize in the Media Club's competition. I liked the image because it did narrow down our view of the woman, provided focus and objectified her - just another cog in the machine.

Keep up the outstanding work - but the blogs are supposed to be only 500 words long.